Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Healthy Onion Soup Mix


Here is my healthy version of onion soup mix.

Wow.  I never thought I would be able to use all of those words in one descriptional sentence.

When I was looking to make my own, instead of using the most popular blue boxed version -loaded with hydrogenated this, and MSG that- I looked online to find a homemade recipe.  I came across a few good recipes.  This is my favorite version of all of those recipes.

I usually at least double this when I make it.  It keeps very well in a glass jar in my pantry.  


Healthy Onion Soup Mix
Yield: about 1 1/4 cups

3/4 cup dried minced onion
1/3 cup vegan beef seasoning powder (I like McKay's Beef Seasoning, but Bill's Best would probably work well)
4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp organic sugar
1 tsp fine sea salt (optional)

Whisk everything together in a bowl.  Store in a small airtight glass spice jar.  Stores very well.  5 TB of mix are equal to one 1 1/4 oz package of Lipton Onion Soup Mix.

To make Onion Dip:  Mix 5-8 TB mix into 1 pint of sour cream to make the onion soup mix (or to taste).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly