Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Veggie Potato Pancakes


These potato pancakes were one of my favorite meals growing up.  For my special birthday meal, I always requested these!  To get me and my brother to eat our veggies when we were kids, my mom came up with this idea.  She would have us in the kitchen with her, grating all the veggies.  We had one large hand grater, so I always was the one to receive battle wounds from this meal.  But, it was so worth it.

There's no recipe involved here, its very simple.  All we would do, was shred about the same amount of potatoes, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, and an onion - and cook them up on the stove.  Its very easy and quick (especially if you have a food processor).  Anyone can make this!


It has been a while since I have made these Veggie Potato Pancakes for us.  I used to make them all the time when I had a garden in the summer, because they're a nice and fresh summer garden harvest meal.  Its a good way to use up those yellow and zucchini squash that seem to grow faster than weeds!  I made these for dinner tonight, and my 3 year old girl devoured them!  So, I thought you might like them, too.


Veggie Potato Pancakes
Yield: 6-8 servings


2-3 pounds russet potatoes
2 small zucchini squash
2 small yellow squash
2 large carrots, peeled
1 large onion
2 TB grape seed oil (or high-heat oil of choice)
Non-dairy butter, or oil

1.  In a food processor, shred everything.   
2.  Put the "batter" in a large bowl.  Drizzle about 2 TB of high heat oil in the bowl, and toss everything together with your hands.
3.  In a preheated skillet, add butter/oil to pan and let it shimmer.  Make 3 small hash browns in the pan.  sprinkle with sea salt, and flatten.  Cover, and cook over medium heat until GB&D (golden brown & delicious). 
4.  Uncover, flip them over, and cook for another 5-10 minutes uncovered until cooked through. 
5.  Serve hot with organic applesauce or sour cream.  These pair well with a hearty veggie meatloaf-style entree and a nice tossed salad, or just some soup and salad.


*Note: I buy my potatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, and carrots all organic.  I highly recommend everyone to do the same, if it is accessible to you.  (The less chemicals and GMOs in our food, the better!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly