Friday, February 10, 2012

Scoop-able Vanilla Ice-Cream

I have a lot of fun with this recipe (mainly, because of how simple and easy it is.)  I've found over the years with my ice-cream-making trials and experiments, that if you throw in some coconut oil, the consistency becomes that of real ice-cream.  Its because coconut oil is a healthy fat, so it helps the ice-cream not to turn rock-hard when you put it back in the freezer to enjoy after its done churning.  I love doing the mint chocolate chip version of this, because since I was little, I've always been a big fan of mint chocolate chip ice-cream.  I can eat this version and know that I'm doing my body a better service instead of kind down the freezer isle...  Enjoy!

Scoop-able Vanilla Ice-Cream
yield: 1 quart

1 cup cashews (or blanched slivered almonds)
1 can coconut milk
1/2-2/3 cup light agave
1 Tb vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean, scraped
1 big pinch of Celtic grey sea salt
1/2 cup coconut oil (I use expelled-pressed)

If you want Mint Ice-cream, also add:
2 Tb spinach juice (or chlorophyll)
2 Tb peppermint extract
1/2 cup carob or chocolate chips

If you want fruit in your ice-cream, also add:
1 cup frozen or fresh fruit (add after everything else is completely smooth, and blend slightly)

1.  Blend all ingredients (except the chips, if doing a mint flavor) in blender until very smooth.
2.  Pour into ice-cream maker, add chips.  Follow manufacturer's instructions.
3.  Serve.  Be creative!  You be the chef!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly